Wednesday, December 24, 2014

"The Interview" and the Sony hacking

At this point it is abundantly clear that North Korea was involved in the hacking of Sony in some form.  It is also apparent that there are journalistic concerns with reporting the released information.  There are also free expression concerns with the stifled release of the movie "The Interview" due to veiled threats.  Sony has reached agreements to secure a fractionalized release

What seems of note to me is that Sony seems to be overlooking the fact that they could greatly spin this catastrophe in their favor.  I have thoroughly resigned myself to the fact that the movie in question is likely awful.  I mean I have not been a fan of previous movies involving Seth Rogen and James Franco but that is my own personal preference and not of consequence here.  What is of importance here is the amount of attention that has been drawn to this movie.  This movie which I would have likely not paid to see if I ever did watch it has attracted my attention. That will ultimately fade if they do not capitalize on it soon.

Sony claims to have interests involved that prevent them from releasing the movie for free to the public.  Well as I do not live anywhere near the select locations that will release the movie they will likely not be reaching my wallet. So they will get a fractionalized release that will bring in fractionalized profits.  Sony possesses a network with which they could release the movie for online viewing.  Why have they not decided to utilize that? Sony could easily release the movie online and profit immensely of a short Korean man who believes he is a godly incarnation.

So ultimately why is Sony not releasing this movie for me to see at an inflated rate online? I would pay $20 easily to see the movie just because some deranged little man and his brainwashed followers are seeking to prevent me from doing so through their enlisted group of hackers.  I mean they can't even use an online translator to make sure that their weak threats even make senses to their targets of Sony and the American public.  I mean I severely doubt that North Korea is going to burn me alive sitting in my home by myself because I chose to see this movie.  I mean if they did manage to do that then their military might would be quite impressive. That however is not the case.  They can't even manage to feed their people.

Sony grow a backbone and don't let North Korea push you around. Free expression is an idea and ideas can easily topple any country no matter their might.



*Editorial Note*

Sony announced earlier today, after my original post, that they would make "The Interview" available online from sources like YouTube and Google Play on a rental or purchase basis.  Take that Kim Jong Un!

No comments:

Post a Comment