Friday, August 22, 2014

My Faith in Civilization is Shaken....Kinda.

On Monday I decided that I needed a bookshelf for my room as the floor had outgrown its usefulness as a method of storage. I have had shelves before that did not hold up very well so I decided to actually go to a furniture store and get a good one.  Upon reaching the store I quickly discovered that people do not really go to these types of stores to look for a bookshelf.  They had 1 and it was not stocked in their warehouse.  The floor model was the only one.  What has happened to people that they do not need at least one bookshelf in their home? This is really not the point of this post though.

I was quickly drawn away to look at the recliners of which they had several.  Apparently people do lots of slothing but not reading these days.  I tested out several as I am also mulling over purchasing a recliner.  I found a double recliner that shook my faith in the future of the world.  The recliner was electric.  It did not require one to raise the foot rest with their own strength or releasing a spring.  It had a simple button in place of the lever that has always been a staple on any recliner.  I have to wonder if this sort of convenience is going to far in removing all physical exertion in the name of comfort and relaxation.  I do want to admit however that I will be purchasing one of these recliners in the future at the expense of my own moral rightness. But after all, I do enjoy slothing as a hobby.  

If you were wondering, I did buy that bookshelf but not before negotiating the salesman down about 20%.  

1 comment: